Eight steps to a healthier school start
Dawley Farm Village has your back-to-school health needs covered at Avera Medical Group McGreevy Dawley Farm.
The family medicine clinic is open from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. by appointment. Urgent care is open from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. weekdays, from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Saturday and from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Sunday.
Avera recommends giving your child a good physical and emotional start to the school year by following these tips:
- Give your child a good physical and emotional start to their school year by following these eight tips:
- Make sure your child's immunizations are up to date.
- Have your child's vision screened and hearing tested before school starts.
- Check your child's head for signs of lice. Head lice needs to be treated with over-the-counter remedies.
- Make sure the school and your child know how to reach you or another caregiver at all times.
- Tell the school nurse and teacher if your child receives medication on a regular basis. They’ll be administering the medicine during the day.
- Encourage your child to eat breakfast. Studies have shown that children who eat breakfast are more alert in class. Also, make sure your child eats a balanced, nutritious lunch and snacks.
- Pay attention to your child's anxiety. It’s normal for children to be anxious about the new school year, but if after a few weeks your child is still anxious and apprehensive, bring this to the attention of the teacher.
Speak to the teacher if you suspect your child is having difficulty with school. Share your concern as soon as possible and develop those relationships early.Your child’s temperament plays a role in how he or she adapts to school. Nine traits define your child’s approach to life, and understanding these traits can help you match the parenting techniques that will work best with your child. For example, if your child is naturally slow to adapt and highly sensitive, he can be more prone to separation anxiety. You can get a free, confidential temperament questionnaire by emailing email@example.com.